Tuesday, July 16, 2013

DIY Seed Starters!

Last year we spent a bunch of money on seeds and seed starter kits and ended up with shriveled up patch of garden, it was very frustrating putting in the hard work and money and coming up empty handed. So this year we are keeping it simple. I've bought a couple of tomato, bell pepper and cantaloupe plants, and only growing a few things from seed. I knew that there had to be a way to make seed starters so I went to looking on Pinteest and found these toliet paper roll seed starters! I had already been saving our paper rolls with no project in mind so this was perfect for me! And we still had some soil leftover from making our compost bin so I had everything I needed! I LOVE it when that happens! This is what you will need: 

- Toliet paper or paper towel rolls
- Scissors
- Tape
- A plate or tray
- Soil
- Seeds of your choice

First you will need to cut your rolls.



Or



Next you will need to cut one of the new pieces about an inch up


You will need to do this 4 times


Now you will need to fold the cut slits over onto each other closing up one end of the roll



Place a piece of tape over the bottom to ensure it will stay closed


Now you have this


Fill it with soil


And plant your seeds according to their instruction. I marked mine with a marker because I'm planting two different seeds


When you have finished making and filling all your seed starters water them and put your tray in the sun!



If you notice one of mine came undone after watering. I just got out my handy hot glue gun and put a dab of glue and that has seemed to fix it!

The BEST part about it is when it's time to transplant them you can just plant the whole thing in your garden! Cool, right?!













No comments:

Post a Comment