Tuesday, September 3, 2013

DIY: Hanging Mason Jar Planter!

I think it's safe to say I have a problem


I can't stop buying plants, and here lately it's been house plants. So I've had to come up with some creative ways to place them around our home. We have also been very broke, so I've had to come up with ways to do it with things I already have on hand. A get a sense of pride when I finish these thrifty projects, and I think this one is my favorite!


And this is what you will need to make it!


A small plant (of course)
A piece of wood
A drill with a bit
A mason jar
Wire wrapping supplies
Marker

First you need to decide where on your board you want your jar to hang from


Mark two dots where your going to drill your holes. I marked mine right under the lip of my jar towards the middle so that the jar will cover the holes


And then drill your holes!



Now is time to prep your jar for planting. I didn't have any potting soil and I knew I needed some filler of sorts so I picked out a buch a pretty tiny quartz stones in our yard and put them in the bottom of my jar. It looks cool and will also help with drainage!


Now stuff your plant in the jar, doing as little damage as possible to the roots




Now it's time to wire wrap!


I used 20 gauge wire to wrap around the jar twice and cross the ends in the back  (make sure you leave a few inches of wire on either side)


Grab hold the cross (as close to the jar as possible) with your index finger and thumb


And then turn your hand upside down so that your thumb is now on top, crossing the wire 




And then twist it a few more times


Now your ready to attach your jar to your board, we are going to do that by putting the wire tails you left through your drill holes and twist then together in back like an action figure is tied to it's box



Then turn your board around


And twist the wires around each other like you did before


I twisted mine all the way to the ends and then coiled up the two wires twisted together


I had 20 gauge silver wire and a flimsy 16 gauge bronze wire, I wanted the look of the bronze but doubted its ability to hold the jar, so I used the silver wire and then covered it with the bronze wire for looks. I made one loop 


And wrapped the jar pulling the last wrap around through the loop and pulled it back the opposite direction making another loop and wrapped the last few inches around the back



And now you have hanging mason jar planter!


I attached a hanger to the back and hung it up in our living room



I'd love to see what you guys do with your mason jar planter!!





























No comments:

Post a Comment